DIRECTOR | PRODUCER | ON-CAMERA HOST
After studies in Directing and Writing for Screen and Theatre at UNITEC Auckland and graduating with a degree in Theatre Directing at the Academy of Arts in Belgrade, Katarina obtained a Master’s degree in Multimedia Journalism at Bournemouth University (UK). She has since worked as theatre and documentary film director.
In theatre she directed Shakespeare, Lorca, Buzzati, Betti and Chekhov, concluding with a play by Milena Depolo – a pioneering project in Serbian theatre which dealt with the subject of the Inclusion of children with Down syndrome.
As Head of Production in VICE Serbia since its launch in 2014, for the first two years Katarina partakes in establishing the office and the required VICE film style and format. She then moves her focus solely to the creative as Supervising Producer, overseeing all of the production’s films. She also directs and hosts on-camera her own documentaries broadcast on various VICE platforms.
Katarina was born on May 24th in Belgrade, attended high school in Cape Town and after a time spent living and studying in New Zealand, the US and the UK, she returned to Belgrade where she lives and works.
She is bilingual in English and Serbian and fluent in French language (DELF).
EXPERIENCE IN TELEVISION, FILM & THEATRE
- Director of ‘Looking for My Grandfather’, feature-length documentary (in development) Black Rooster Studio Production 2019
- Director and on-camera host of documentary film “Vraćena nevinost“, (Virginity Regained) VICE Serbia 2018
- Head of Production/Supervising Producer, Director & Host at VICE Serbia 2014 – 2017
Show reel can be found here
Directed and hosted “Ispravljanje krivine”, (Bikers and Death) 48min
Hosted “Previše željena deca”, (Adopting Children in Serbia) dir. Marko Popovic
Directed and hosted “Broj koji nemam”, (Young Gamblers in Serbia)
Directed International Mom Advice shorties episode on Munchies
Directed and hosted “Izvan granica seksa”, (Crossing Sexual Boundaries) 38min
Directed and hosted “Tetovirane bake”, (Tattooed Grandmas of Bosnia) 28min
Directed and hosted “Bacanje hrane”, (Food Waste) 39min
Directed and hosted Cannabis Between Pain and the Law, VICE International 28min
Hosted “Kako su guze pobedile mišiće”, (Women Bodybuilders) dir. D. Čavić/D. Šaponja 13min
Directed, shot and hosted Beneath The Concrete, VICE International, 19min
Directed and hosted Blood Debt, VICE International, *Beldocs International Documentary Film Festival 2015, 34min
- Freelance Videojournalist for AFP 2018 – present and Ruptly 2011 – present
- Producer and Director at Trident Media Group 2011 – 1013
Directed and hosted Katarinin izbor documentary mini series
- Edited documentary film The Plate From Maće (Maćanska ploča), Belgrade 2013
- Producer and director at BELEF (Belgrade Summer Festival) 2011 and 2012
- Directed short documentary “The Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra Proms”, UK 2010
- Produced video, radio and text on Invisible Childer: The UK’s take on Inclusion of children with Special Educational Needs, UK 2010
- Co-Writer & 1st Assistant Director on film “The Legend of Ohrid” dir. Milos Djukelic, RTS 2008
- Directed in Theatre:
“Birdcage” by J. Poiret, PAB Theatre, Serbia 2009
“The Love of Don Perlimplin and Belisa in His Garden” by F. G. Lorca, National Theatre of Belgrade, 2008
“Inya Saves Christmas”, The Ice City Festival, Belgrade 2006
“Romanticisms”, selected texts from the Russian Avanguard, Atelje 212 Theatre. Belgrade 2004
“Crime on Goat Island“ by U. Betti, Dadov Theatre. Belgrade 2003
“Something Beginning with L“ by D. Buzzati, Dadov Theatre. Belgrade 2002
“Shakespeare Files”, selected scenes from W. Shakespeare’s comedies (Festival Ohrid, Macedonia 2003) 2002
- Assistant Director in Theatre: “Ogovaranje” dir. Ljubisa Ristic, Budva grad teatar 2008; “Kaj sad?” dir. Egon Savin, Belgrade Drama Theatre 2002; “The Amphibians” in New Conservatory Theatre, San Francisco 1999
- Intern Researcher on Channel4’s Unreported World series (Quicksilver Media Productions), Oxford 2010
- Intern on Five News (Channel Five), London 2010
- Intern on Sky Arts, London 2010
- MA in Multimedia Journalism (BJTC Accredited), Bournemouth University UK 2010. Course based on convergence of reporting in Television, Radio and Online Journalism.
- One World Media, undertook a workshop covering issues related to reporting and filming in the developing world, UK 2010
- BA in Theatre Directing, Academy of Arts in Belgrade (Prof. Nikita Milivojevic) 2004
- Directing and Writing for Screen and Theatre, Bachelor of Performing and Screen Arts, UNITEC. Auckland, New Zealand 1998/99
- Westerford High School, Cape Town RSA
- Frank Joubert Art School (Painting), Cape Town RSA
- Grade 8 Piano, “Josif Marinkovic” Music School, Belgrade